A monumental coach house and stable from 1760 becomes a spacious house. A mishmash of built curiosities is removed. Historical elements became visible again. The stable, still complete with hay racks and troughs, is used as a living room. The tack room becomes the entrance hall and the coach house the new kitchen. Some oversized high doors reappeared during the demolition. This created a surprising connection between living room and kitchen. In this high dimension, a new staircase of solid oak wood is placed as a modern addition. It has become the centre of the house, and daylight falls from the roof into the new kitchen. A double hood with wooden trusses determines the atmosphere upstairs.
A seating around a wood stove is added as a pleasant lounge. From here the bedrooms and bathrooms are accessible as well.
Project team: Marnix van de Meer, Richel Lubbers, René de Korte, Victor Verhagen
Entrepreneur: Vendrig Montfoort
Location: Breukelen (NL)
Design: summer 2011
Realisation: august 2012
Words and images: Courtesy of Zecc Architecten